Can You Sue Your Landlord After A Robbery Or Mugging?

As a tenant of an apartment or rental home, you have a right to reasonable safety on the property, including adequate protection against intruders. Your landlord is responsible for maintaining sufficient security in your home and on the property, but what can you do if you are mugged or robbed as a result of your landlord's negligence? If you suffered physical or psychological damage during the incident, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim. 

Collecting Information About the Incident

Before you assess anything else, you should ensure that your official statement about the robbery or mugging is on the record with your local police. A personal injury attorney should then be able to help you secure the testimonies of any witnesses and a detailed timeline of the event. Even small facts such as how the robber entered your building can prove to be crucial evidence in a personal injury case. With the facts in hand, you can begin constructing an accurate and documented narrative to back up your suit. 

Demonstrating a Lack of Reasonable Security

Although your landlord may not be obligated to install a home security system in each unit, you can expect basics like bolted doors and secured windows to keep intruders out. Any public areas or parking lots should also be lit at night to discourage would-be muggers. If you believe that your house was not reasonably secure or that you were put in danger outdoors, your attorney will request photographs of the inadequate facilities as direct evidence of negligence. 

Quantifying Your Losses

Once you have determined that your case is worth pursuing, you will need to settle on a preliminary figure to cover your medical bills and related expenses. You should also list your property damage and theft losses, though those may be used as part of a different suit separate from the personal injury claim. You can include both physiological and psychological care needed as a consequence of this incident. Many families or individuals are deeply disturbed by violent encounters and need counseling afterward, which can become very expensive over time. 

Adding in Pain and Suffering Damages

Your attorney may recommend adding pain and suffering damages to your total as well as a form of compensation for less measurable losses. It costs a certain amount of money to set a broken arm, for example, but many victims would argue that the real toll is much higher. You may also lose time at work or lose sleep because you can no longer relax in your own home. You shouldn't have to suffer because of the negligence of your landlord; if your personal safety has been put at risk on your rented property, contact a skilled personal injury attorney today to explore your options.